Login to forums:

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dad and I decide to purchase and restore a 1974 Challenger...

Lifetime User Array focusinprogress's Avatar
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

$6.5k

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. You got a great price on it.
    http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/865969/original/evostang.jpg
    Freek If you want to find acceptance on the internet... go join a loosely automotive based local forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very cool. If you need stuff (like the whole car lol) blasted let me know, I love these and would love to work on it.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Actually jesse, I AM interested in having two pairs of doors and a pair of fenders blasted haha....if you want when you get time PM me a price (if you see this before I reach that point and PM you myself)

I gotta see what previous bodywork is hiding under the paint to see what work I have cut out for me to get them all perfect again.

Basically, the way this project is going to go is I am stuck doing all of the labor intensive stuff, and my dad is going to do things like basic tune-up and maintenance items for road-worthyness. hopefully he lets me drive it when it's done LOL
    Last edited by focusinprogress; 04-20-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by L8APEX1 View Post
    When you are not driving it and people ask you why tell them you were having a footprint gas pedal installed.
    Hahaha yes! Do it. That is an awesome looking car, love the purple. The two-tone purple is a cool idea

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 318 with a nice cam and full exhaust will be plenty for your dad. Nice pickup!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

spent another 5hrs saturday tracing shorts in the harness and tracking down wiring gremlins. by dinner, I had everything figrured out and working. We had to replace EVERY bulb in the entire car, replace the headlight switch, dimmer switch, horn, a relay, and that huge pile of wire I pictured previously. I have over 15hrs invested in just repairing wiring. I hate wiring haha.

we re-capped the dashboard, touched up the lower half (which is normally painted body color but P.O. painted cheap black) , re-did the rear deck carpet and trunk carpet, and pulled the rear glass to repair the seal and refinish the chrome trim that the P.O painted. Pretty productive weekend. I'll snap some pics next time I'm wrenching on it.

all we plan to accomplish for this year is a 4 barrel carb and a new exhaust system fab'd by your's truly and then see if dad feels like driving it this year. going to probably have the seats reupolstered over winter and possibly do the bodywork and repaint while thats getting done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice work! looks like a fun project.

when you do the seats you should consider replacing all the foam and fixing any frame / spring problems... I hate when I'm checking out old cars and the interior looks mint and then you sit down and your ass feels like it hits the floor (or worse a spring) and it smells of mold.
    Race: E36 Chumpcar / DE: E30 / Summer: C6 Vette / Winter: Audi A3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by focusinprogress View Post
    (which is normally painted body color but P.O. painted cheap black)
    pulled the rear glass to repair the seal and refinish the chrome trim that the P.O painted.
    Haha, good 'ol "POs." I've seen some pretty creative engineering from some of them.
    http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/865969/original/evostang.jpg
    Freek If you want to find acceptance on the internet... go join a loosely automotive based local forum

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
    Haha, good 'ol "POs." I've seen some pretty creative engineering from some of them.
    lol yeah I know it.....the previous owner not only painted the chrome, but the window was leaking pre-paint so he just pounded the seam where the chrome meets the body with silicone and then taped off the glass and painted ALL OF THAT SHIT. the car screams Maaco or earl shribe paintjob. I don't think I am going to enjoy doing the bodywork on this thing haha.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Small update (sorry still no fresh pictures.....the car is in a tight garage and with the brake problems I can't pull it out for pics)

all the wiring is done, the interior is mostly back in, and I've re-loomed the wiring in the engine bay (dad won't let me do a wire-tuck)

while we were trying to bleed the brakes the other day my dad snapped the fitting at the master so now we have some brake line work to do

after the brakes are in order, we are replacing the trans pan and a couple seals on the trans that seem to be leaking fairly steadily. At that point, I think we'll throw it on the road and make sure it drives well before we move forward with the rest.

Interior just needs the new headliner installed and the front seats recovered. Going to save the bodywork/paint for next season.
    Last edited by focusinprogress; 08-11-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best of luck to you guys. I absolutely love these and grew up around them most of my life due to a best friends father rebuilding a T/A and R/T from the ground up. I have some good memories in this particular make/model!

Apparently: grammar; is, an. issue! love it (bitches)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just came. Love the color, hope you stick with it!

Mopar colors = WIN
    Last edited by Neon; 08-11-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So dad and I worked on it some more today. last week we had to replace a seal in the transmission and then do that pan and pan gasket. Today we took out the old headliner and started laying out the noew one but we are waiting on the foam that gets glued to the roof inside before we install. Re-carpeted the rear deck, installed a bunch of the dash, and re-painted the lower half of it thats steel and stays in the car. Came out pretty damn good.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear deck carpet

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The foam arrived sometime early this past week so today I went over and we did the headliner. WHAT A PAIN IN THE COCK, let me tell you. So we started out installing the foam to the roof with spray adhesive...

then after about an hour and a half we had the headliner braces in place and some of it pulled taught into the jaws along the windshield and rear glass area.

Then we pulled the sides taught and installed the jaw clips that hold it in place, and began installing all the black metal trim peices to secure everything for good.

Then my dad went around and trimmed all the overhangs off

so it's mostly done now, we have to install the seatbelt mounts, dome light, coat hooks, and visors still.

we are going to wait a few days to see where the fabric settles, and then get it wet and blast it with a hair dryer to get it to shrink up a bit and hopefully get the last few wrinkles out.....although at this point I'm almost convinced they HAD to be a little bit wrinkled from the factory, the system that they used to put a headliner in is soooo crude I don't know how in the world you could get it PERFECT.

anyways, we got the rest of the dash in today as well.

(sorry for picture quality, the black is really hard to capture out in the daylight with the glares that get picked up)
    Last edited by focusinprogress; 09-18-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work, Im really looking forward to this build!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yeah, I am too. It's getting pretty close to needing only bodywork and minor housekeeping items.

We found out the seats we were given were from a 70/71.....so the covers we ordered online wont fit. Apparently, it's possible to order 70/71 covers with the 72-74 fabric so they LOOK correct to the untrained eye, so dad ordered those up and now is gonna lose a 15% restocking fee on $400 seat covers. Sucks. So that's what we are waiting on for a full interior.....once the covers come in the upholstry shop should have all the seats back to us in about a weeks time.

Then we are going to go through and clean the engine bay, adjust the lifters and shit (found out the previous owner installed an aftermarket cam, lifters, and pushrods about 8k miles ago so they are due for adjustment) and maybe do an edelbrok intake manifold and 4barrell carb.

I think we're going to put it on the road in the spring and drive it around a bit to see where we're at and then tear into bodywork.

AKA: Arch Angel Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope you painted over the rust on the inside of the roof before putting the headliner in.

I'd only sex a supermodel like Erinaceomorpha Array Minglor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The interior on this rule.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karter View Post
    I hope you painted over the rust on the inside of the roof before putting the headliner in.
    the pic makes it look way worse. Plus, the adhesive wouldnt work nearly as well against a painted surface, and now the adhesive has "sealed" in the metal surface. It took 37 years to develop that fairly small amount of surface rust with absolutely zero scaling. I'm sure it will be no big deal. I just hope my dad lets me video him doing a sick heater in it when we get it on the road lol

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

SO, my dad asked me to use photoshop and come up with some alternative colors in case we want to change it from the purple......I came up with these following colors and would love some second opinions.....

Dark Blue:

Charcoal Grey

Copper-Orange (this color is really hard to make in PS and it's not quite right)

Same as above but two-tone type deal....

OR, we stick with purple haha.

What do you think??

I like cars,
    and burnouts,
    and beer.
    I also like to hate.
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep the purple.

Lifetime User Array turbo ls1 ss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My neighbor has an impeccable purple '71 Challenger I can get a pic of for you to gauge. Not sure what purple, but it looks great. He also has a lime green, orange, and white E-body Mopar I can get pics up of. There is a really nice teal blue that was on those E-bodies that I would go for in a second.
    2012 Tahoe Z71 - unmolested
    2000 Camaro SS - GT55 94 ETR-HO

Auto Aesthetica | DetailWNY

www.DetailWNY.com

(716) 860-6366
    Array
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purple. What condition is the the current paint in?
    Like quality automotive content? Follow us on facebook

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast