User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High-Profile, High-End Build Threads = More User Control

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb High-Profile, High-End Build Threads = More User Control

Everyone loves a great build thread, but unfortunately they can become cluttered with nonsense and this sometimes discourages members from keeping them up-to-date.

So we're going to try something new

If you're in the process of or starting a high-profile, high-end build thread shoot me a PM and I'll give you the ability to moderate your own thread.

For example, Newman would be able to clean out the 1,000 "Are you keeping it AWD" posts that appear every page in his E30 thread. And you'll be able to update your thread title whenever you want.

This will be on a case-by-case basis only.

I general idea of a build thread is that someone is sharing their hard work with the rest of the site, and the point of this extra control is to make it less of a chore to update and maintain. So you'll be able to cut out off-topic conversations, irrelevant comments and yes, even haters who have nothing nice to say.

Sound good?

I was LXTASY, then I got better. Array Mike93's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love this idea...nothing more annoying than sifting through worthless posts in a thread!
    '93 Mustang...IRS equipped
    '55 Chevy.......LT1 roadtripper

Lifetime User Array focusinprogress's Avatar
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That sounds like an AWESOME idea.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bigblap

Regular User Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its one thing to weed out useless posts its another thing to censor posts because you are too big of a pussy to take some criticism

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brilliantyellowg60 View Post
    its one thing to weed out useless posts its another thing to censor posts because you are too big of a pussy to take some criticism
    consider this though.....if it's justified and constructive critisism, chances are the O.P. will most likely leave it there and use that critisism as he see's fit. If it's simply bashing something which the O.P. knows is done correctly/safely/how he wants.... then he can delete it and go about his build.

Lifetime User Array
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by focusinprogress View Post
    consider this though.....if it's justified and constructive critisism, chances are the O.P. will most likely leave it there and use that critisism as he see's fit. If it's simply bashing something which the O.P. knows is done correctly/safely/how he wants.... then he can delete it and go about his build.
    Meh, stubborn people do sketchy things and defend it to their death all of the time.

I don't agree with doing this.
    Last edited by boardjnky4; 08-12-2011 at 09:04 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High-Profile, High-End Build Threads = More site traffic
    http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/865969/original/evostang.jpg
    Freek If you want to find acceptance on the internet... go join a loosely automotive based local forum

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
    Meh, stubborn people do sketchy things and defend it to their death all of the time.

I don't agree with doing this.
    Thats totally understood....but at the end of the day it's their car and if they choose to ignore something that someone notices that can be justified as a hackjob that's their own fault. Also, Josh said this pertains mostly to the really in-depth high-end builds.....not someone putting a B-series in their civic. Chances are, they are going to somewhat review what the build will entail and use their judgment based on that and the member's track record to decide whether or not they are going to give them this priveledge

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people don't know how to give criticism without being a jerk. And some people don't know how to take criticism, warranted or not.

But that's the reality of the internet and of a large automotive forum. Neither should discourage someone from sharing their work with this community though.

Not everyone is building these types of threads anyway. The majority of build threads being posted have zero issues, but some of the large & popular threads tend to become chat rooms which dilutes the focus of the thread.

And if you see someone doing something idiotic in their build thread and care enough to want to call them out on it, nothing is preventing you from creating your own thread to discuss the topic like I did with the Final GTS / brilliantyellowg60 stuff: http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.ph...7-Wiring-Drama

It's not like the owner of a thread will be able to go all around the forum censoring criticism, only in their own thread.

maxwell

I'm a fan of this however it needs to be kept under control. As much as I hate sifting through pages of posts just for the next update from the OP, often times it's necessary banter/criticism/questions.

With the exception of Final GTS getting his panties in a bunch over on off the cuff comment, I have never seen a build thread issue. Hell, even in Newmans thread, all the AWD comments were met with laughs.

It's the quality build threads from select members here (newman, cougar, juiced, final, 95dime, even the bike guys like motox and focus), along with the OT drama that keep me coming back. I'd hate to see the build section take a shit due to an overzealous OP, but as long as it is kept in check I am all for it.

Lifetime User Array
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think it's stupid to put "high-end builds" on a pedestal...As if those people are better than other people who build shit. I've got a lot of respect for the people here putting in hard work on their cars, but I think your creating a huge grey area that is going to piss people off.

If you're going to do this, I would prefer that you do it for ALL threads in the 'build' forum.
    Last edited by boardjnky4; 08-12-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell View Post
    ... I have never seen a build thread issue...
    What you're not seeing are those who are contemplating sharing their work, but who see little value in having to justify every step they take to random strangers. So they simply don't share their builds at all.

... I'd hate to see the build section take a shit due to an overzealous OP, but as long as it is kept in check I am all for it.
    Honestly, if someone has a thread that qualifies for this extra control, if they want to make their thread read like a book and remove every single comment that others make, that's fine with me. The result of this will be a potentially boring thread or members will stop caring about the scope and scale of the build simply because the OP is being a jerk. If you want to abuse it you run the risk of giving yourself a shitty reputation and in that sense, it's self-regulating.

In regards to keeping things in check, like I said;

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z32 View Post
    ... if you see someone doing something idiotic in their build thread and care enough to want to call them out on it, nothing is preventing you from creating your own thread to discuss the topic like I did with the Final GTS / brilliantyellowg60 stuff: http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.ph...7-Wiring-Drama

It's not like the owner of a thread will be able to go all around the forum censoring criticism, only in their own thread.

Lifetime User Array
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't understand why it's such a big issue for the moderators to do their jobs? I'd rather you bring on a new moderator who can keep things civil while at the same time, keeping a thread informative. It's way better than giving carte-blanc access to just delete on-topic posts that may or may not be a valid concern.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think it's stupid to put "high-end builds" on a pedestal.
    I should define this more clearly. I'm talking about builds where someone is putting a lot of their personal time, effort & skill into a project, not necessarily the dollar amount they're trowing at it. And not the builds where people are looking for what wheels look best or are just assembling a small list of bolt-on parts.

"High-Quality" would likely be better terminology.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would just like to point out that Josh said soft delete. This means that as moderators or admins we can see what was deleted and also make a determination if the OP is being crazy and reinstate the posts.
    InFocus Inspection - Specializing in Residential Home Inspections and Thermal Imaging in WNY, Erie, and Niagara Counties. "See Your Home Through Our Lens."
    http://www.infocusinspection.com
    http://www.inspectwny.com

Lifetime User Array
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z32 View Post
    What you're not seeing are those who are contemplating sharing their work, but who see little value in having to justify every step they take to random strangers. So they simply don't share their builds at all.

Honestly, if someone has a thread that qualifies for this extra control, if they want to make their thread read like a book and remove every single comment that others make, that's fine with me. The result of this will be a potentially boring thread or members will stop caring about the scope and scale of the build simply because the OP is being a jerk. If you want to abuse it you run the risk of giving yourself a shitty reputation and in that sense, it's self-regulating.

In regards to keeping things in check, like I said;
    Quote Originally Posted by tpgsr View Post
    I would just like to point out that Josh said soft delete. This means that as moderators or admins we can see what was deleted and also make a determination if the OP is being crazy and reinstate the posts.
    glad you are all on the same page /sarcasm

maxwell

I can see this turning into a pissing match for people building up a bike or automobile. What constitutes high quality? Someone with deep pockets and some mechanical skill, or the guy chopping an old CB he picked up for $100 and turning it into an amazing cafe/bobber/brat.

Just asking... where do you draw the line?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this idea too, but People will bitch and complain no matter what...

I have been wanting to post my build pics, but don't have the patience to deal with the multiple phucksticks on this site lol.
    Last edited by FourEyed; 08-12-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    PM me if you are looking for concrete or asphalt pricing. Free estimates are available.

WNY's Fastest daily driven car
    High boost no bullshit magic

Lifetime User Array
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FourEyed View Post
    I love this idea too, but People will bitch and complain no matter what...

I have been wanting to post my build pics, but don't have the patience to deal with the multiple phucksticks on this site lol.
    you mean you dont want 45 different people that prolly havent touched a wrench in over 2yrs tell you how you should have built your car because they read on the internet somewhere............

Lifetime User Array
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see this turning into a pissing match for people building up a bike or automobile. What constitutes high quality? Someone with deep pockets and some mechanical skill, or the guy chopping an old CB he picked up for $100 and turning it into an amazing cafe/bobber/brat.

Just asking... where do you draw the line?
    exactly what I'm talking about

I hope that builds like user checko and the other dude with the white crx will be included. focusinprogress does good work too, i would expect his bike builds be included.

after sifting through the first page of the builds forum, I think I would consider the majority of the projects to have a lot of time and effort put into them.
    Last edited by boardjnky4; 08-12-2011 at 10:26 AM.

mafdark

I'm a fan of this however it needs to be kept under control. As much as I hate sifting through pages of posts just for the next update from the OP, often times it's necessary banter/criticism/questions.

With the exception of Final GTS getting his panties in a bunch over on off the cuff comment, I have never seen a build thread issue. Hell, even in Newmans thread, all the AWD comments were met with laughs.

It's the quality build threads from select members here (newman, cougar, juiced, final, 95dime, even the bike guys like motox and focus), along with the OT drama that keep me coming back. I'd hate to see the build section take a shit due to an overzealous OP, but as long as it is kept in check I am all for it.

And I thought you were a friend

maxwell

Quote Originally Posted by mafdark View Post
    And I thought you were a friend
    As soon as I posted it I thought of you, sorry bro . Yours is truly one of my favorite on the site. The level of custom fab, creativity and hard work are hard to find nowadays.

/leghumping.

EDIT: but it's a Honda...
    Last edited by maxwell; 08-12-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't understand why it's such a big issue for the moderators to do their jobs?
    Oh they have been, it's just that you can't see their work or even notice it since it's in such low quantity. The Final GTS post thread being an exception though.

glad you are all on the same page /sarcasm
    Mike and I haven't talked about this yet actually. I think I made this post at 2am, lol.

No posts will be restored in the thread like he said, but may be pulled out into a new thread as with the Final GTS example I've already stated.

But his broader point remains the same that we'll still see everything.

Just asking... where do you draw the line? ... What constitutes high quality?
    When the guy who's spending 8 hours in his garage working on a car doesn't feel excited about walking into the house and sharing a few pictures of his progress because his build thread is a mess.

And as I said;

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z32
    I'm talking about builds where someone is putting a lot of their personal time, effort & skill into a project, not necessarily the dollar amount they're trowing at it.

Team Jackstands Array Final GTS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FourEyed View Post

Ditto. I have albums upon albums. I was even going to break down that one thread into the four builds that it actually is. Why bother? Its always a hassle with some of the morons on this site.
    The Viper Doctor
    White Mamba Viper SRT-10, VS-1500TTvc
    White/Sepia '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast