Login to forums:

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 62

Thread: High-Profile, High-End Build Threads = More User Control

  1. #26
    GBIYCM Array tpgsr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    12,833
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
    glad you are all on the same page /sarcasm
    Yeah we don't sit in an office discussing things. Josh and drew drafted this, I quick reviewed and one of them would correct me at some point.

    Posted from tapatalk
    InFocus Inspection - Specializing in Residential Home Inspections and Thermal Imaging in WNY, Erie, and Niagara Counties. "See Your Home Through Our Lens."
    http://www.infocusinspection.com
    http://www.inspectwny.com


  2. #27
    Sr. User Array FourEyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Alden
    Posts
    1,669
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    boardjnky.. How would this decision affect you? Do you have a build going on that you would want to be included?
    PM me if you are looking for concrete or asphalt pricing. Free estimates are available.

    WNY's Fastest daily driven car
    High boost no bullshit magic

  3. #28
    Lifetime User Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    22,452
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FourEyed View Post
    boardjnky.. How would this decision affect you? Do you have a build going on that you would want to be included?
    I'm a big fan of discussing working on cars...I haven't done it in a few years, but I've had a bit of experience and I always like to learn more. So questioning people on how/why they do things a certain way in build threads helps me learn for future/current knowledge. Unfortunately some hot headed people take it the wrong way and end up berating me and others.

    As with the last case in FinalGTS's thread, there was valuable information crammed in the BS. If FinalGTS wasn't such a hot-head he could have taught us all a lesson on proper wiring. Instead he let someone get in his head and the thread got out of hand.

    Things he mentioned that were valuable:

    Soldering, shrink wrapping and waterproofing is the proper way
    cramming two wires into a small pin would cause corrosion due to the connector not sealing

    More information on all of that would have been welcomed, instead the moderation failed and it all got moved to a "drama" thread.

    Yes, there are assholes on the internet...Learn to ignore them. The rest of us want to learn and talk about cool shit.
    Last edited by boardjnky4; 08-12-2011 at 10:43 AM.

  4. #29
    Lifetime User Array 91MR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    10,695
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think this is a good idea so long as the egos of the OP's stay in check. Give them power and...

    I don't know, I'm thinking about posting my "build" thread soon too, but my version of build is not necessarily along the lines of what everyone else would consider build...we'll see...

    2012 Lotus Evora S GP, 1995 Lotus Esprit S4, 1991 Toyota MR2, 1987 Renault GTA

  5. #30
    Team Jackstands Array Final GTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Amherst
    Posts
    1,230
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
    If FinalGTS wasn't such a hot-head he could have taught us all a lesson on proper wiring. Instead he let someone get in his head and the thread got out of hand.
    LOL, you know as well as I do that NEVER would have happened. This isnt Utopia, this is the INTERNET. 90% of People say stupid things for a few reasons:

    They are IGNORANT, and think they are right.
    They are ASSHOLES, and doing it on purpose.
    They are ATTENTION WHORES, and trying to get people to notice them.

    I think the list ends there. In ANY of those cases, it is going to start drama.

    You cant solve a problem for a person who isnt looking for an answer.
    Last edited by Final GTS; 08-12-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    The Viper Doctor
    White Mamba Viper SRT-10, VS-1500TTvc
    White/Sepia '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

  6. #31
    Lifetime User Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    22,452
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    if someone is starting drama purposely, mods can just hand out a warning...how hard is it? Isn't that what they're here for?

    Or, the builder could calmly explain why they did what they did (without insults) and move on, ignoring any subsequent replies by said "asshole".
    Last edited by boardjnky4; 08-12-2011 at 10:50 AM.

  7. #32
    I'd only sex a supermodel like Erinaceomorpha Array Minglor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    7,948
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Let me mod mine and maybe I'll update it. Ha!


    .

  8. #33
    Lifetime User Array focusinprogress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In my garage with too many projects
    Posts
    8,832
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
    I'm a big fan of discussing working on cars...I haven't done it in a few years, but I've had a bit of experience and I always like to learn more. So questioning people on how/why they do things a certain way in build threads helps me learn for future/current knowledge. Unfortunately some hot headed people take it the wrong way and end up berating me and others.

    As with the last case in FinalGTS's thread, there was valuable information crammed in the BS. If FinalGTS wasn't such a hot-head he could have taught us all a lesson on proper wiring. Instead he let someone get in his head and the thread got out of hand.

    Things he mentioned that were valuable:

    Soldering, shrink wrapping and waterproofing is the proper way
    cramming two wires into a small pin would cause corrosion due to the connector not sealing

    More information on all of that would have been welcomed, instead the moderation failed and it all got moved to a "drama" thread.

    Yes, there are assholes on the internet...Learn to ignore them. The rest of us want to learn and talk about cool shit.
    This particular post kind of raises a question for me.....on moderating that is.....

    is it possible to "edit" the banter from a specific post so that only the valuable information is left in it instead of deleting it?

    jnky makes a good point in that sometimes there is a post in a thread that has a decent question amidst a bunch of useless bashing....and deleting it could hinder the the thread, editing would be a decent feature to an extent. although I could kind of see that getting abused like making someones post say something like "Hi, I'm XXX and I'm a huge raging homosexual"

  9. #34
    Team Jackstands Array Final GTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Amherst
    Posts
    1,230
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
    if someone is starting drama, mods can just hand out a warning...how hard is it? Isn't that what they're here for?
    Technically, sure. I am not for or against this measure, and had nothing to do with it, so it doesnt matter to me what they do.
    The Viper Doctor
    White Mamba Viper SRT-10, VS-1500TTvc
    White/Sepia '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

  10. #35
    Regular User Array Neon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    796
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    GREAT idea
    Quote Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
    if someone is starting drama purposely, mods can just hand out a warning...how hard is it? Isn't that what they're here for?

    Or, the builder could calmly explain why they did what they did (without insults) and move on, ignoring any subsequent replies by said "asshole".
    Holy shit bro, relax. Are you really gonna lose sleep over this?
    ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

  11. #36
    Lifetime User Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    22,452
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neon View Post
    GREAT idea

    Holy shit bro, relax. Are you really gonna lose sleep over this?
    I come here all the time and really enjoy the build threads. They're great the way they are...it's been this way for years and we still have great builds being shared.

  12. #37
    I was LXTASY, then I got better. Array Mike93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    3,325
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
    I come here all the time and really enjoy the build threads. They're great the way they are...it's been this way for years and we still have great builds being shared.
    But this isn't the case...they're filled with a lot of useless shit from people. As a few have already mentioned, there are builds that we haven't even seen since the builder doesn't want to go through the annoyances.
    '93 Mustang...IRS equipped
    '55 Chevy.......LT1 roadtripper

  13. #38
    chips AND dip! Array theblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    12,041
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I can see this being good and bad.... things like various people posting the same comments and them getting deleted causing confusion and frustration.
    Race: E36 Chumpcar / DE: E30 / Summer: C6 Vette / Winter: Audi A3

  14. #39
    Regular User Array Neon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    796
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I can only think of one good build thread not filled with bullshit and it's the Cavalier one with the amazing attention to every detail.
    ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

  15. #40
    Regular User Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Final GTS View Post
    LOL, you know as well as I do that NEVER would have happened. This isnt Utopia, this is the INTERNET. 90% of People say stupid things for a few reasons:

    They are IGNORANT, and think they are right.
    They are ASSHOLES, and doing it on purpose.
    They are ATTENTION WHORES, and trying to get people to notice them.

    I think the list ends there. In ANY of those cases, it is going to start drama.

    You cant solve a problem for a person who isnt looking for an answer.

    your name calling and insults are childish, i made one comment that wasnt even hash just my opinion
    the fact that they have to create a pedestal for you to sit on and pat yourself on the back is fucking ridiculous.

    honestly i stopped posting my build threads due to lack of time, but calling me ignorant, and asshole and an attention whore is comical
    it just shows your personality, and i am about as impressed with that as i am with your wiring

  16. #41
    Lifetime User Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    22,452
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike93 View Post
    But this isn't the case...they're filled with a lot of useless shit from people. As a few have already mentioned, there are builds that we haven't even seen since the builder doesn't want to go through the annoyances.
    Then maybe moderators should do their jobs...

    I'm not saying it should be a free for all, but mods can hand out warnings and bans to troublemakers. Then they can edit out BS according to some pre-determined policy. Then we actually get some consistency and a policy that could leave useful information and on-topic remarks in the thread.
    Last edited by boardjnky4; 08-12-2011 at 11:26 AM.

  17. #42
    Regular User Array Neon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    796
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
    then maybe moderators should do their jobs...
    You missed the point of this also giving the thread op control over redundant/dumb questions that are already answered and removal of general clutter, not just troll posts.
    Last edited by Neon; 08-12-2011 at 11:32 AM.
    ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

  18. #43
    GIMME DA COOKIES Array JayS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Williamsville
    Posts
    28,518
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I like it. If these members are willing to put hundreds of hours into their projects and want to share it with the forum they should be allowed to moderate the BS.

    And lol @ the guy who's biggest "build thread" was a boost gauge and springs putting up such a stink about it. Even without the shitshow the whole discussion about proper harness wiring would have been better off in a separate thread from the build thread anyway. Builds should be about THE BUILD, not 20 pages of discussion, haters, and nutswingers. If you've got a question about part of the build or find something especially interesting, start a thread about it in gen auto. Then when you get 10+ members debating best practices you don't clutter up a thread that is supposed to be about a specific build.

  19. #44
    Lifetime User Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    22,452
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    I like it. If these members are willing to put hundreds of hours into their projects and want to share it with the forum they should be allowed to moderate the BS.

    And lol @ the guy who's biggest "build thread" was a boost gauge and springs putting up such a stink about it. Even without the shitshow the whole discussion about proper harness wiring would have been better off in a separate thread from the build thread anyway. Builds should be about THE BUILD, not 20 pages of discussion, haters, and nutswingers. If you've got a question about part of the build or find something especially interesting, start a thread about it in gen auto. Then when you get 10+ members debating best practices you don't clutter up a thread that is supposed to be about a specific build.
    I was never good about taking pictures when I built my civic, but i did a TON of work on that car. Built it from a completely torn down shell (100% bare) to boosted 100% functioning. I didn't have the money to make it flawless, but it was huge learning experience and I still love learning about how to do this kind of stuff.
    Last edited by boardjnky4; 08-12-2011 at 11:41 AM.

  20. #45
    Team Jackstands Array Final GTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Amherst
    Posts
    1,230
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brilliantyellowg60 View Post
    your name calling and insults are childish, i made one comment that wasnt even hash just my opinion
    the fact that they have to create a pedestal for you to sit on and pat yourself on the back is fucking ridiculous.

    honestly i stopped posting my build threads due to lack of time, but calling me ignorant, and asshole and an attention whore is comical
    it just shows your personality, and i am about as impressed with that as i am with your wiring
    1. I wasnt even talking to you.

    2. I had nothing to do with this "pedestal". perhaps you should read two more posts down the page where I said I don't care if they do this or not? Shit... isn't that what got you into to trouble multiple times in another thread I can mention?

    3. I have about as much respect for your opinion of my wiring as I do the green goo floating down Ellicott Creek right now. You have still failed to explain how or why its "wrong", or how or why "you can do it better". You have ZERO grasp of the problem, yet seem to have all the answers. Funny how when the harness was done, it looked JUST LIKE IT DID FROM THE FACTORY, with all of the right parts for the job, assembled correctly. Yet its all wrong? Gee... you might want to tell Dodge that you dont like how it looked when they built a wiring harness over a decade ago. They will care I am sure.

    4. Stop being so butthurt that you made a fool of yourself and everyone noticed.
    Last edited by Final GTS; 08-12-2011 at 01:04 PM.
    The Viper Doctor
    White Mamba Viper SRT-10, VS-1500TTvc
    White/Sepia '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

  21. #46
    maxwell
    Guest

    Default

    I just checked outside and I am pretty sure it's still summer time. Save this drama for the winter months.

    Final GTS, keep building fantastic vipers.

    Brilliantyellow, keep building custom ass dubs. I was impressed with that build thread.

    Mods, give builders control if they want it, keep an eye on it, and hopefully it doesn't get out of control.

    /thread.

  22. #47
    Regular User Array Z28pr0jekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utica, NY/Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I like the idea. In all honesty what turned me on to this site was newman's build. However it was terrible just trying to sift through and find newman's posts through 100+ pages.

    I think it's as simple as having a main thread and then a secondary thread for people to ask questions or what not. That way you can easily scroll the progress of the build without having to see a bunch of garbage. Then anyone who has a legit question or comment can just use the secondary thread to do so.

  23. #48
    mafdark
    Guest

    Default

    IMO; builds threads should be done in a blog format with comments allowed for each blog post but not posts themselves. Much like how certain threads get switched over to blog style for the homepage.

    This way comments could still be allowed mostly unedited (simply moderated by site mods) but if they are off topic or critical of the build they are a simple footnote on the actual thread progression.

  24. #49
    Lifetime User Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    22,452
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Z28pr0jekt View Post
    I like the idea. In all honesty what turned me on to this site was newman's build. However it was terrible just trying to sift through and find newman's posts through 100+ pages.

    I think it's as simple as having a main thread and then a secondary thread for people to ask questions or what not. That way you can easily scroll the progress of the build without having to see a bunch of garbage. Then anyone who has a legit question or comment can just use the secondary thread to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by mafdark View Post
    IMO; builds threads should be done in a blog format with comments allowed for each blog post but not posts themselves. Much like how certain threads get switched over to blog style for the homepage.

    This way comments could still be allowed mostly unedited (simply moderated by site mods) but if they are off topic or critical of the build they are a simple footnote on the actual thread progression.
    Not sure why I keep doing this but there is a simple way to do what both of you suggest

    Edit the Original Post. Then the entire build will be within 1 post, with all comments/questions after it.

  25. #50
    mafdark
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
    Not sure why I keep doing this but there is a simple way to do what both of you suggest

    Edit the Original Post. Then the entire build will be within 1 post, with all comments/questions after it.

    that still becomes difficult to read and sort through. Think of if newmans thread was one page long with hundreds of pictures....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •