User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: High-Profile, High-End Build Threads = More User Control

Lifetime User Array
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh I see what you're saying now...yeah, it might make a bit more sense that way.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is a great idea....I would never moderate my own thread though. I like seeing everyones input.

The James Fry Guide to Craigslist Scams - "Very funny. Fuck off."

Climbin in ya window... Array travisn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so why was ls1/fd swap thread closed?

IMO: I think this is great for getting rid of bullshit and letting the user post the legitimately asked questions. tired of seeing the bashing and the people who think they know it all, when they usually know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by travisn View Post
    so why was ls1/fd swap thread closed?
    My guess is Drew spends countless hours/money doing HIS project and idiots try to tell him what he should do next. I can tell you that he built it for himself. People who know me know why i never did a build thread.
    The reason people do builds is to get self satisfaction out of their project, and the bottom line is that if you are building a car like this for Sack-Riding and others approval you are doing it for all the wrong reasons.
    S

Climbin in ya window... Array travisn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rx7walker View Post
    My guess is Drew spends countless hours/money doing HIS project and idiots try to tell him what he should do next. I can tell you that he built it for himself. People who know me know why i never did a build thread.
    The reason people do builds is to get self satisfaction out of their project, and the bottom line is that if you are building a car like this for Sack-Riding and others approval you are doing it for all the wrong reasons.
    S
    No. I think you are wrong. If doing a build is for self satisfaction it would never make it to the internet. It goes on the internet to show off their skills or whatever. Either way, it doesn't explain why it was closed as soon as the car was finished.
    Last edited by travisn; 08-12-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I build cars for the respect...to some people that matters more...

2012 Lotus Evora S GP, 1995 Lotus Esprit S4, 1991 Toyota MR2, 1987 Renault GTA

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew closed his own thread. He's going to enjoy driving the car for the time being and will update it later.

Quote Originally Posted by mafdark View Post
    IMO; builds threads should be done in a blog format...
    Unfortunately vB designed the blog function of the forum as an afterthought. It doesn't integrate well and doesn't even show up in 'new posts' at the moment.

We're going to stick with threads for the builds.

Quote Originally Posted by focusinprogress View Post
    ... is it possible to "edit" the banter from a specific post so that only the valuable information is left in it instead of deleting it?
    No one will have the power to edit other people's posts. They will have 2 new controls:

1. Ability to edit the thread title (Example; "New Pic's Page 34!")
    2. Ability to soft-remove posts (posts can still be seen by the staff.)

If your post gets pulled by a threads owner and you feel it's important enough, simply start your own thread based on that post. We can then copy or move relevant posts from the build thread over to your new discussion topic.

And I'll mention this point again because I think it's important;

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z32
    If you want to abuse it you run the risk of giving yourself a shitty reputation and in that sense, it's self-regulating.
    If you want to be a total penis about how you manage your build thread, you'll sink it and yourself quick. In order for it to be successful you'll have to promote intelligent discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
    Then maybe moderators should do their jobs...
    As I already said;

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z32
    Oh they have been, it's just that you can't see their work or even notice it since it's in such low quantity. The Final GTS post thread being an exception though.
    Also, the mods don't always know who's friends with who; who's just joking around and who's being a smart ass instigator. On a large forum like this one, the owner of the build thread is more capable of determining this.

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    I like it. If these members are willing to put hundreds of hours into their projects and want to share it with the forum they should be allowed to moderate the BS.
    Bingo.

The goal of this is to encourage more people to create and maintain build threads. Not to help get;

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
    ... More site traffic.
    If this was simply about site traffic & numbers we'd want to KEEP the OT & drama posts. We'd want to pad each build thread with as many posts as possible and encourage BS back-n-forth conversations. That's obviously not the case.

We're going to try this out and see how it works. If there is some unseen dire consequence as a result we can always change it back. But at the moment the positives far outweigh the negatives, and the responses in this thread from guys who have or are planing to create build threads only reenforces the argument for it.

Thanks for all the input guys

Lifetime User Array
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with this. I stopped updating my SHO powered camaro thread on NYspeed because the majority of people are shit bags. If you don't like the project I don't care don't read/post in my thread. I still keep other forums updated though. My build thread is 10 pages and probably 8 pages of people telling me to die in a fire for pulling a V8 out of a car that didn't have a V8 in it when I bought it.
    Last edited by somedude; 09-19-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Idk how I missed this. Great idea. Makes me want to make a build thread now
    1995 Mustang GT|11.08 @ 126...10.23 @ 135.27 150 shot (so far)
    2008 Ford Ranger FX4

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by somedude View Post
    ...8 pages of people telling me to die in a fire for pulling a V8 out of a car that didn't have a V8 in it when I bought it.
    There are def. a lot of cunts on here...

2012 Lotus Evora S GP, 1995 Lotus Esprit S4, 1991 Toyota MR2, 1987 Renault GTA

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bump for those who haven't seen this thread.

Several members have this ability enabled for their build threads and we've yet to see any abuse or received any complaints. You can see who has this ability at the bottom of the 'Builds' root forum:

Moderators of this Forum

Final GTS
    newman
    MPD47
    FourEyed
    somedude
    focusinprogress
    jt76

I looked at the sticky and the picture just confused me further. Array )><(((x>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 91MR2 View Post
    I build cars for the respect...to some people that matters more...
    No one caught this F&F reference?
    I ate at DeMarco's Pizza! Scrumptious!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123