Here's the axle plate jig all welded up. Lowered 2.5" shortened 2"

BAM!
    Icecream Paintjob

President: Big Cat Club Array newman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew rough frame geo in CAD. Looks like a derake is going to get ugly with tire/triple interference with suspension travel... Might have to go with stock rake... still looks alright... and even in that case might need to clearance the lower tree for the tire...

Stock:

-5 Rake: probably too aggressive for the frame clearance as well... but I don't think much, if any, de rake is going to happen with those triples while maintaining a level ride height.
    Icecream Paintjob

Lifetime User Array focusinprogress's Avatar
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think it looks better with the stock rake than the -5 anyways......de-raking is probably going to marginally raise the front ride height on top of it, so you'd probably need MORE clearance chopped out of the triple clamp to go that route. The only other option is chop the neck off and move it UP while keeping the stock rake..... as in cut the welds away and put the spot where the gusset is shown in your drawings up where the top tube is and re-weld, then blend another peice of pipe at an angle from the old location down to the spine.....make sense? if not throw your inventor file up and I'll play with it to show you what I mean.....

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by focusinprogress View Post
    I think it looks better with the stock rake than the -5 anyways......de-raking is probably going to marginally raise the front ride height on top of it, so you'd probably need MORE clearance chopped out of the triple clamp to go that route. The only other option is chop the neck off and move it UP while keeping the stock rake..... as in cut the welds away and put the spot where the gusset is shown in your drawings up where the top tube is and re-weld, then blend another peice of pipe at an angle from the old location down to the spine.....make sense? if not throw your inventor file up and I'll play with it to show you what I mean.....
    I know what you mean, but the whole neck assy is cast, can't move it around much... pretty much only change the angle. (don't want to rebuild that whole part because it has the vin on it) The ride height in both pics is the same which is why the tire is so much closer to the tree in the second pic. If I can clearance the lower tree enough maybe I can do like -2 or 3 rake...
    Icecream Paintjob

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newman View Post
    I know what you mean, but the whole neck assy is cast, can't move it around much... pretty much only change the angle. (don't want to rebuild that whole part because it has the vin on it) The ride height in both pics is the same which is why the tire is so much closer to the tree in the second pic. If I can clearance the lower tree enough maybe I can do like -2 or 3 rake...
    ohhh gotcha. the neck itself is a cast piece welded to the frame? damn. what if you knocked the plate out of there, cut the top tube halfway between the neck and the front down-tube and then flip the neck upside down and sleeve that top tube back together and then gusset the top side?

crude MSpaint:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CUT.jpg 
Views:	710 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	22706

EDIT: actually visualizing that and seeing the angle the neck is welded to the top tube, that may actually both lower AND de-rake it.......
    Last edited by focusinprogress; 01-04-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDIT: actually visualizing that and seeing the angle the neck is welded to the top tube, that may actually both lower AND de-rake it.......
    It's more complex than that:

If I derake it at all it will be by removing the downtubes from the casting and shortening them and bending the toptube right where it goes into the casting which actually raises the bike a tiny bit, too.

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MercuryMoto67 View Post
    What's the new deraked angle? Stock? Are you using an inverted front end?
    The top model is stock. the second model is 25 degrees

Forks are off a GSXR-1000. 720mm (28.3) from axle to cap. Can be shortened 3" max, but the issue is tree/tire clearance, not fork length or travel.

The trees will be custom made.
    stock fork spacing spacing is 6.125" between the tubes
    new fork spacing 4.5"
    new tire section width is 4.25"

I can clearance the tree for the tire a bit for sure. The tree in the model is 2" thick... I can probably hog an inch out of that... no front brake really decreases the moment load on the tree.

So check it out. Tinkered with it a bit and may have a solution. The images shown are with the fork internally lowered about the maximum amount.

Fork at 25 and even ride height (4.5")

Fork after 2" of travel (about the range of the gsxr shortened fork:

Obviously this is no good. Tons of clearance issues. Also not the fork poking out of the top of the triple tree. YUCK.

HOWEVER, if I raise the fork and push it down into the tree flush (total of 1.25") , i wind up with a slight angle to my frame (1.3 degrees). but the result isn't too detectable by eye.

25 degrees of rake, 1.3 degree frame angle:

And after 2" of travel:

I could make this work for sure. Again, need to have the forks and wheels on the bike before I can really do much beyond conceptualizing...
    Icecream Paintjob

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the proper process for changing rake angles?

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Also, point out what you cut and shortened... I'm looking at it and not seeing the difference

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Willybeen View Post
    What is the proper process for changing rake angles?
    Two ways. Look at this pic:

Option 1, cut a pie from the neck gusset and bend the neck down. Doing this with a cast neck seems like a bad idea.... Doesn't raise bike though, which is good...

Option 2, grind the weld off of the downtubes and horizontal gusset tube, shorten them, bend the neck down where the tup tube meets neck casting and reweld. raises bike nearly an inch which is bad because it doesn't help with the tire/tree interference.

Also, point out what you cut and shortened... I'm looking at it and not seeing the difference
    In the second 2 models I changed the angle of the whole frame up 1.3 degrees. (this would be the same as lengthening the forks). The stem becomes 1.25" higher off the ground.
    Last edited by newman; 01-04-2013 at 07:29 PM.
    Icecream Paintjob

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

that cast neck is really fucking stupid, damn! I'd probably stick with stock rake just because of that.....but that's me...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the explanation. How do you make 50 mm forks fit on a compatible triple tree? And also fit that neck? Seems like a ton of work..... And then what about brakes and wheels and hubs and axles.... Yikes.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the explanation. How do you make 50 mm forks fit on a compatible triple tree? And also fit that neck? Seems like a ton of work..... And then what about brakes and wheels and hubs and axles.... Yikes.
    Going to make triples from scratch, but in general you just need to machine a new stem. The reason I am making triples is because I want to run a super narrow (in sport bike terms at least) front end. I'm also not running front brakes. (Don't even start w me). The axle is easy to make from scratch. Hubs are on order.

I like doing stuff that's a challenge. I don't want to just bolt something together. Any monkey can do that.
    Icecream Paintjob

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This monkey doesn't have the shop to work with, (I'm working on that)

You should run brakes lol. You're like the 'busa guys who remove a rotor for drag race purposes. Lol

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very cool. Ive always wanted to do something like this.
    How much do you think this project will run you in the end

Climbin in ya window... Array travisn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's sponsored, so $0?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wish I had access to half the shit you do man.....I could get so much more creative if I even had a bridgeport and a basic lathe. I've been watching CL like a hawk for both to no avail. I had a line on GSXR600 front forks and brakes for $200 local but lost contact info REALLY wanted to put them on the CB550....

Climbin in ya window... Array travisn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I had access to half the shit you do man.....I could get so much more creative if I even had a bridgeport and a basic lathe. I've been watching CL like a hawk for both to no avail. I had a line on GSXR600 front forks and brakes for $200 local but lost contact info REALLY wanted to put them on the CB550....
    How much are you trying to spend on a bridgeport? There are a few places in rochester where you can get one for around 2-3K

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nick, you don't need a Bridgeport to put the forks on. The only hard plate is getting the rotor on your stock wheel.
    Icecream Paintjob

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't you just make 2 new triple clamps? Have the top one extend out a little further than the bottom one. You can get whatever rake you want that way. Factory Motocross guys do that all the time. They get custom clamps with "secret" offset to them.
    '94 Z28 BLACK LT1 n/a

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joelster View Post
    Can't you just make 2 new triple clamps? Have the top one extend out a little further than the bottom one. You can get whatever rake you want that way. Factory Motocross guys do that all the time. They get custom clamps with "secret" offset to them.
    I am making the triples from scratch, so that is an option, it's just a cocksucker to make... but you're right, it may be less work than jacking with that neck. I was just going to slam a DXF on the EDM and be done with it, but I suppose I could add the stem bolt holes in as a secondary operation.

I don't think you can just run 2 different offsets... that would put a weird torque on everything... have to machine the stem bolt in at an angle. It also fucks with the trail a lot... but I will look into it.

-5 degrees of rake would require moving the upper center triple hole back 5/16 and the lower center triple hole fwd 5/16... or some combination of the two that adds up to 5/8... I'd like to have about 5 inches of trail. When I get back to work on monday I'll take a look at how it shakes out.
    Last edited by newman; 01-05-2013 at 10:33 AM.
    Icecream Paintjob

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newman View Post
    I am making the triples from scratch, so that is an option, it's just a cocksucker to make... but you're right, it may be less work than jacking with that neck. I was just going to slam a DXF on the EDM and be done with it, but I suppose I could add the stem bolt holes in as a secondary operation.

I don't think you can just run 2 different offsets... that would put a weird torque on everything... have to machine the stem bolt in at an angle. It also fucks with the trail a lot... but I will look into it.

-5 degrees of rake would require moving the upper center triple hole back 5/16 and the lower center triple hole fwd 5/16... or some combination of the two that adds up to 5/8... I'd like to have about 5 inches of trail. When I get back to work on monday I'll take a look at how it shakes out.
    That's how they do it, or the upper is "shorter" or "longer" of an offset from the stem and the angles are machined to match that offset. There are companies that specialize in machining tripples for custom offset.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just checked and raked trees will give me 8.5" of trail which is too much.

By deraking the neck I wind up with 5.25 which is WAY better.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Also... tools are expensive!

I spent nearly 1000 dollars on dies to bend 1" and 1-1/8 tubing for my frame and bars. Couldba bought a whole frame for that but having tools is sweet.

I'm sort of dead in the water til my dies arrive so I practiced laying down some TIG beads.

Last edited by newman; 01-06-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    Icecream Paintjob

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I fucking love buying tools. I think next bike I decide to build instead of buying a pre-bent tubing kit I'll buy a pipe-bender

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea what any of you are talking about but still think it's cool

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Me too. Lol

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)