Forgot your username?

User Tag List

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: '72 F-series project

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^smart. get it on the road and work out the bugs first. if you get the itch in a winter or two you will have plenty of room in there to take shit apart and fab stuff.
    - 2001 560i LSx SOLD
    - 2000 FRC

Lifetime User Array focusinprogress's Avatar
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Last night I started going through what I have now....

They guy got frustrated with trying to get the dash harness and ignition cyl for me, so he just gave me the entire dash structure and steering column LOL.

Took a little time breaking it down and got to this

So now I get to de-loom all of this and figure out which parts are drivetrain wiring and which parts are stupid interior function wiring like airbags and dashboard stuff (radio, cluster, etc) so I can thin this down to only what I need for engine to run.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by focusinprogress View Post

So now I get to de-loom all of this and figure out which parts are drivetrain wiring and which parts are stupid interior function wiring like airbags and dashboard stuff (radio, cluster, etc) so I can thin this down to only what I need for engine to run.
    Ford doesn't use a body harness and a PCM/engine harness wtf?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LZ View Post
    Ford doesn't use a body harness and a PCM/engine harness wtf?
    it's hit and miss. some makes/models to and some don't. sometimes halfway through a model's production they switch from yes to no. example, 2000-2002 focus has a PCM and a GEM(general electronics module)......2003-2004 are all in one ECU. the model ran from 2000-2004. LOL.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Grabbed crown Vic front end today for $125. Such a solid score.

I got him to include the engine mounts too....now I gotta find some time and make some space to get installing all this crap!

Lifetime User Array
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Nick. You find some good deals. Find me a 302!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

5.0 Tom? Like fox body motor? There was one front row with a T5 trans and some bolt ons at m&m two weeks ago....Eddie Bauer explorers and Mercury Mariners had them too.

Lifetime User Array
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5.0 Tom? Like fox body motor? There was one front row with a T5 trans and some bolt ons at m&m two weeks ago....Eddie Bauer explorers and Mercury Mariners had them too.
    Yes sir, paid and picking up the 69 mustang that was on here. Has a boring little I6 250 in it now. Didn't know they came in explorers also. Maybe i should see what else they are in. I should check out that fox body. What are the odds its motor is still there.

- - - Updated - - -

Boo the fox body is to old. Looking for a 89-93
    Last edited by llink78; 02-01-2015 at 12:33 AM.

Lifetime User Array
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm loving this. Can't wait to check it out. I really dig that you are just building the DD you want when everyone else wants you to make a fast hot rod. 4.6 2Vs are nothing for power but they are super reliable and get awesome mpg. I love that you just want a cool looking truck and you will actually use it as a truck. This is sweet. All said and done you will be in this less than a year of payments on a new truck and have something reliable and super unique.
    We are the laughter from a situational comedy
    Forced out, barely alive, a total tragedy

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deathproof View Post
    I'm loving this. Can't wait to check it out. I really dig that you are just building the DD you want when everyone else wants you to make a fast hot rod. 4.6 2Vs are nothing for power but they are super reliable and get awesome mpg. I love that you just want a cool looking truck and you will actually use it as a truck. This is sweet. All said and done you will be in this less than a year of payments on a new truck and have something reliable and super unique.

thanks Jeremy, you hit the nail on the head. I sort of wish I did a little more research on differences in 2V motors, I had wanted a police interceptor motor but couldn't pass up the price for the 98 mustang GT set....I haven't looking into it yet but I could get interceptor heads at M&M for cheap if they bolt on....You know much about the wiring on these things? none of the pigtails were labeled and so many are the same I don't know what will go where and what I can delete.

I'm hoping to get the truck back into the shop in a week or two to start pulling the front end apart and cut out the stock crossmember to bolt in the crown vic front end.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like they have quite a few Crown Vics in there now, I wonder if any of them are P71s. 2003, 2005, and 2x 2007s, I would assume they are, being that new.
    - 2001 560i LSx SOLD
    - 2000 FRC

I can has burnouts? Array cougarspeed's Avatar
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks Jeremy, you hit the nail on the head. I sort of wish I did a little more research on differences in 2V motors, I had wanted a police interceptor motor but couldn't pass up the price for the 98 mustang GT set....I haven't looking into it yet but I could get interceptor heads at M&M for cheap if they bolt on....You know much about the wiring on these things? none of the pigtails were labeled and so many are the same I don't know what will go where and what I can delete.

I'm hoping to get the truck back into the shop in a week or two to start pulling the front end apart and cut out the stock crossmember to bolt in the crown vic front end.
    Get a schematic
    Strip harness of any loom/tape
    Pin by pin from the fuse panel or ecu verify routing one wire at a time and follow through its entire length to make (some dont look like you need them at first but are used to trigger something else)
    Ditch about 50% of your harness
    Layout harness in bay to see if any wires should be shortened/lengthened to hide as many as possible
    Wrap in sexy mesh loom

This is what I do on every build. Which is why you hardly see any wires in my engine bays. @LukeL did the last few and I did the Maro this way. Amazingly if you can follow a schematic it can be a one day job and you will be way more intimate with your wiring for future needs.
    http://www.nyspeed.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1346&dateline=1294292  807

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ great method and also a great time to check condition/continuity of all wires to make sure nothing has broken inside the insulation. On my harness I found an injector signal wire that had been repaired and spliced (poorly) at some point and it was an easy fix while it was all apart.
    - 2001 560i LSx SOLD
    - 2000 FRC

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cougarspeed View Post
    Get a schematic
    Pin by pin from the fuse panel or ecu verify routing one wire at a time and follow through its entire length to make (some dont look like you need them at first but are used to trigger something else)
    Layout harness in bay to see if any wires should be shortened/lengthened to hide as many as possible
    Wrap in sexy mesh loom

This is what I do on every build. Which is why you hardly see any wires in my engine bays. @LukeL did the last few and I did the Maro this way. Amazingly if you can follow a schematic it can be a one day job and you will be way more intimate with your wiring for future needs.

that's exactly what I want to do. I know I won't be using ABS, airbag shit, EGR, and all that kind of crap. If I can delete EVAP I will too. I've already noticed a couple wires that look like they got smashed so I'll want to check a lot of it out anyways. Hopefully I can convince @pirite to help with the wiring stuff bribing him with monster drinks and fatty foods.

on another note, I won $600 last night on the superbowl pool I bought in on....so I started making a cart on RockAuto....I am serious about wanting to DD this thing and use it every bit as much I do/would my '12 F150 (which goes back in may).....so I figure now is the time to replace all the wear parts for quality/new.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mountaineer....not Mariner

In any event...this looks super cool.
    2016 GT350
    2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Limited
    2012 MP4-12C

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think 99+ they improved the head design, called performance improved heads.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully I can convince @pirite to help with the wiring stuff bribing him with monster drinks and fatty foods.
    FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

'94 Mazda MX-3 - DEAD, '02 Ford Focus SVT, '98 VW Jetta - SOLD, '16 FiST
    '84 Yahama XS650 HS

Double Wrapped. Cause, you know, well its GM Array ultradriver10000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just spent $440 at rock auto lol, that place ....rocks

Wife = "Honey please don't drift this corner, we have soup in the car."
    1997 Corvette 418| LSX E36 M3 | 2013 Ram Cummins | 1997 Viper | 3800SC Cavy

Lifetime User Array
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99+ mustang GT heads and intake are the way to go. Pick up like 45hp. Should be able to get them cheap.
    We are the laughter from a situational comedy
    Forced out, barely alive, a total tragedy

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deathproof View Post
    99+ mustang GT heads and intake are the way to go. Pick up like 45hp. Should be able to get them cheap.
    if you come across any, please let me know! I've spent my whole life on 4cyl shit lol.

I'd love to get some type of handheld tuner for this too, just to delete things that would throw check engine light (even though that won't matter for my inspection and shit)....I want to retain an OBD2 port for diagnostics and such to be able to properly maintain this thing for the foreseeable future.

I also want to get a short shifter, because I'm gonna need like a 2' long shift lever, on the stock shifter I'll have like a foot of throw from gear to gear

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cougarspeed View Post
    Get a schematic
    Wrap in sexy mesh loom

^ what he said...

- - - Updated - - -

I say dive in....it will make future projects less intimidating.

The James Fry Guide to Craigslist Scams - "Very funny. Fuck off."

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So, I had started looking over the harness..... it was cut in a few places (he said it wasn't cut), theres a few connectors that are identical and not labeled, he never did mail me the key after 2 months of hounding him via text and he kept saying "I'll have it out in the next couple of days"....and then I find out the PATS receiver isn't in the ECU, it's either in the gauge cluster or a module in the trunk....neither of which I got. So even if I had the key I wouldn't beat the PATS system

so, I have a couple options as I seem to have come up with via google.

1: Go to the junkyard and pull a harness, ECU, Key, and PATS unit from a crown victoria or another 4.6 car.
    2: pay a fortune for a Ron Francis wiring harness that's an engine-only harness and send him the ECU I got with these parts for a flash to delete PATS and tweak some other settings for performance and such ($1000+)
    3: attempt to build my own harness from scratch using pigtails off the harness I was given, and build/run megasquirt II V3 or greater.

option 2 would be the fastest/simplest. option 1 would be CHEAP. option 3 would likely be the halfway point between 1 and 2 both with cost and reward as far as tuning it for the future could be. I'd probably pay DIY autotune to just build the MS and give me an ecu pigtail to make the harness myself.

thoughts anyone?

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to know without knowing your budget, but I say #3 .

Lifetime User Array
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

junkyard harness will be a huge hassle, and you'll never know if the electronics have been rain damaged or anything.

If you have the money, go option 2. If you don't mind the effort and frustration, option 3.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to go with option 1. Seems like the cheapest and most hassle free...
    MAXWELL
    BLAOWW!!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast