Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: '72 F-series project

Lifetime User Array focusinprogress's Avatar
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

one vote each. helpful. lol.

If cost were thrown out of the equation, I'd go option 2 all day. If cost were the only thing on my mind I would go option 1. I think there's enough people in the area that know MS that if I went option 3 and got stuck someone could help me, but again the hassle of it all takes a little away from the appeal of it. If I went option 1, and later wanted to do anything as far as tuning, I'd have to spend $400+ for an SCT flasher setup with software....at which point the MS would have been a better bet from the start.

ugh.

I am going to email DIY autotune and get a quote on a pre-assembled MS setup.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldnt you rather deal with an OEM harness now and get it running?

Spend the money now and hope it goes well hacking up the already hacked harness, or get it running and 100% dialed in NOW on a clean harness, and spend a few bucks down the road.

You know my vote...
    MAXWELL
    BLAOWW!!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just think the experience of making it yourself will go a long way (knowledge gained, etc.)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z32 View Post
    I just think the experience of making it yourself will go a long way (knowledge gained, etc.)
    I fully agree here....I think it's pretty obvious that's my rationale with most of the projects I've dove into. I have an email into DIYautotune about a pre-assembled MS ecu, we'll see what I hear back. to go with option 2, it's $870 for the base harness, then $350 for them to flash the ecu I have to delete PATS (anti-theft chipped key b.s.) and while they're flashing they'd do a mild performance file and delete egr and all that nonsense. I have a bit of sticker shock on the price, but it would be a bare bones brand new purpose-built harness and plug-n-play. If I got a harness and ecu with key from the junkyard, I'd have to thin it out myself and inspect the wires/connectors for damage and then re-loom for my needs, and have no tune-ability without later spending about $650 for flasher, software, and a basemap to work from.....at which point that plus maybe the $100-150 to get the stock junkyard parts.....seems like option 2 is a no-brainer. Then again, if I can do the MS for half that......it makes that option pretty attractive.

EDIT: on MS stuff, using the parts list from their 4.6 write-up.....looks like $523.50 in parts plus whatever they charge to assemble for me, then add in a wideband....which is getting awful close to option 2. PISS.
    Last edited by focusinprogress; 03-16-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by focusinprogress View Post
    I fully agree here....I think it's pretty obvious that's my rationale with most of the projects I've dove into. I have an email into DIYautotune about a pre-assembled MS ecu, we'll see what I hear back. to go with option 2, it's $870 for the base harness, then $350 for them to flash the ecu I have to delete PATS (anti-theft chipped key b.s.) and while they're flashing they'd do a mild performance file and delete egr and all that nonsense. I have a bit of sticker shock on the price, but it would be a bare bones brand new purpose-built harness and plug-n-play. If I got a harness and ecu with key from the junkyard, I'd have to thin it out myself and inspect the wires/connectors for damage and then re-loom for my needs, and have no tune-ability without later spending about $650 for flasher, software, and a basemap to work from.....at which point that plus maybe the $100-150 to get the stock junkyard parts.....seems like option 2 is a no-brainer. Then again, if I can do the MS for half that......it makes that option pretty attractive.

EDIT: on MS stuff, using the parts list from their 4.6 write-up.....looks like $523.50 in parts plus whatever they charge to assemble for me, then add in a wideband....which is getting awful close to option 2. PISS.
    Dude when you lay it out like that.... 2 all day...
    MAXWELL
    BLAOWW!!

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

choice 2. do it once.

............__._ . ........... '55 FLH - '90 FXHT - '72 C10______________

Lifetime User Array ubengineering's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You won't be able to focus unless you pick option 2, you know it's the right thing to do, but it's one of those things that sucks until you just do it and life moves forward.
    15 Focus SE - 01 S10 4.3L - 96 Viper GTS - 95 Neon R/T

I can has burnouts? Array cougarspeed's Avatar
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For real a 5.3 with harness and ecu is ~1k
    Last edited by cougarspeed; 03-16-2015 at 08:58 PM.
    http://www.nyspeed.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1346&dateline=1294292  807

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cougarspeed View Post
    For real a 5.3 with harness and ecu is ~1k
    Not with a t56 behind it. I won't settle for an auto trans. If I wanted an auto is I would lease new again.

That and it's so easy to put the 4.6 on the crown Vic suspension. What is save in wiring on an LSx I'd pay for in fab and reinventing the wheel.

I Might just bite the bullet and go option 2, after all I want to keep this truck and legitimately daily drive it and haul shit long distance. Piece of mind can be priceless

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not with a t56 behind it. I won't settle for an auto trans. If I wanted an auto is I would lease new again.
    Could've always gone the cheap route and used an NV-series manual trans....

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't look too bad:

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=43485

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

no offense but I already have an engine and trans sitting here that I paid $800 for, why would I spend a $1k on a different engine with harness and ecu, then still need to get a trans (even if it's an NV 5-spd) when I can spend $1000 and get what I have in the truck and working? I also don't want solid engine mounts, this truck is going to be driven every day, and being able to swap out parts with stuff I can but at advance/autozone/napa is a huge benefit.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a chance id pay 1k for a harness is why I suggested an alternative. Unless it was coming attached to a stand alone ecu.

So if we are still picking options. Whichever one = repairing the current harness.
    Last edited by cougarspeed; 03-17-2015 at 10:03 AM.

Lifetime User Array
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fixing the current harness still doesn't solve the issue with not having the PATS module and needing the original to match the ECU. He may be able to buy a new PATS module and key, but then the ECU needs to be programmed for it.

What about repairing the current harness and then sending the ECM to Ron Francis to have the PATS deleted? ECM reprogram is $350, https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo....=FORD+ECM+PROG
    Last edited by boardjnky4; 03-17-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bummer

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yeah. fuck PATS. so, I can go MS "standalone" with harness for about $750. By with harness, I mean I take what I have and chop it up to make a harness to plug into the MSII V.3 ecu. If I can buy a pre-assembled MS from DIYautotune with a pinout diagram and the ECU pigtail/plug....I might just do that. I'm so mad about this because the whole point of purchasing the drivetrain I did was because I thought I was getting everything I needed to just drop this thing in the truck and turn the key.

Lifetime User Array
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With megasquirt, how does it work to get your gauge cluster working?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
    With megasquirt, how does it work to get your gauge cluster working?
    it doesn't. the truck has a mechanical cluster, I'll just run mechanical gauges.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think in this case Id go 1 or 2, especially if you're looking for long term reliability, drivability, and MPG. Going to MS is a huge learning curve and then you'll need a tune, even for the stock motor which adds more cost.

I dont see why you couldnt repair the current harness (unless a lot is missing, not just cut), get a PATS module and key and move along.

Dan

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@pirite did find out that for $55 he can download the pats program at work and set it up with the ecu, key, and a module. I have no idea how or where to get a 98 mustang gt pats module though.

- - - Updated - - -

Another option might be to run a pre-96 crown Vic harness and ecu because they don't have PATS.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would make sure you research megasquirt before you go all in I know people run it on LSx drag swaps but when it comes to drive ability/IAC people always suggest the stock PCM.

Not saying that I agree with them or its the case with ford stuff I would just do a fair amount of research first.
    Last edited by LZ; 03-17-2015 at 08:48 PM.

Sr. User Array
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@pirite did find out that for $55 he can download the pats program at work and set it up with the ecu, key, and a module. I have no idea how or where to get a 98 mustang gt pats module though.

- - - Updated - - -

Another option might be to run a pre-96 crown Vic harness and ecu because they don't have PATS.

there are a 96 and 97 mustang at m and m. cant remember if they are a v6 or v8 though
    Last edited by 02NismoSpecV; 03-17-2015 at 09:56 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 02NismoSpecV View Post
    there are a 96 and 97 mustang at m and m. cant remember if they are a v6 or v8 though
    I was there saturday, both were v6 auto

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Option #4 , bug the crap out of the guy for the key that he keeps being too lazy too send you since you found you have the mustang PATS box today

Then make it awd.
    1995 Mustang GT|11.08 @ 126...10.23 @ 135.27 150 shot (so far)
    2008 Ford Ranger FX4

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 38stang View Post
    Option #4 , bug the crap out of the guy for the key that he keeps being too lazy too send you since you found you have the mustang PATS box today

Then make it awd.
    hahaha. yeah, I sent him another message this morning....so far no response. I wonder if the code on the PATS module paired with the ECU code could be used for a locksmith to program a key....Luke says he can do the key programming for $55 but I might have to be able to turn the key to the on position with everything hooked up, which means waiting until I have everything together and towing it to his work.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast