0 Thread(s)

Looks like the upper spring mount. +2pts

Dan

President: Big Cat Club Array newman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are front axle nuts. The reliefs in the flange will behave like a castle nut.

Last edited by newman; 03-06-2016 at 09:12 AM.
    Icecream Paintjob

Lifetime User Array turbo ls1 ss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice nuts Newman
    2012 Tahoe Z71 - unmolested
    2000 Camaro SS - GT55 94 ETR-HO

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh, Thanks. I still have to figure out what I'm going to make for the rear axle. Suppose i could just safety wire it.
    Icecream Paintjob

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some more things. I reworked that part that I mentioned earlier that needed more work. Got it very very nice. Part of getting it nice was the discovery of this technique for fine grit sanding. It's sort of like a cheap flap wheel that super soft. Basically just a worn down buffing wheel and some cloth backed sandpaper cut up.

Came out nice:

This is the bottom that you will never see #selfie :

Next I polished these guys up:

Came out nice:

Next there was some trouble and an expensive lesson learned.

So this is the neck I had rapid cast. About a 1700 dollar investment. Woof.

I machined it all up to accept the bearings, then started polishing it. It was then that I realized my mistake. (Actually I realized this when I polished my first SS part). The tiny inside fillets on the part were nearly IMPOSSIBLE to clean up.

This was as good as I could get it:

I even tried something called grease-less compound, which is sort of a gritty paste you apply to a buffing wheel after applying glue, then it's supposed to make a soft, but gritty sanding wheel. Well that doesn't work, and it makes a huge fucking mess. More #selfie #dexter

It would work well for a few minutes, but it took longer to apply the paste than it did to wear it all off. Not worth the time.

So then I sent it to a local polisher, who was unable to get it any better.

Then I sent it to a high end polisher in MO, and he got it a lot better, but not perfect.

Can't have something so prominent on the bike anything but perfect:

So I decided to table that neck design, and came up with this design. Showed the models to the polisher and he said he can definitely get this one perfect, so I placed the for the rapid casting. Fortunately I've ordered so much stuff now that they've started giving me discounts. This one was about half the price (albeit a little smaller)

Then once it's polished I am going to press/glue a pair of these into the recesses (bike is from 1940)

I also used this change to pull a little bit of rake out of the bike. I had originally drawn it at 40 degrees off vertical, but it seemed a bit too much, so I dialed it back to 34. Got the trail to 4.5 as well, so that will help ridability. (was at 6)

Lastly, I made an axle and stem bolt. First time doing manual threading on this lathe. Came out well, though I did find out there is a slight taper to the bed when I was trying to cut the bearing faces and the stem/tree interference face, but I was able to make it perfect (within a half thou) with some careful work.

That's all for now.
    Last edited by newman; 03-14-2016 at 08:38 AM.
    Icecream Paintjob

Lifetime User Array focusinprogress's Avatar
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

impressive as usual. I've still yet to play with the threading gearbox on my lathe.....I gotta try it sometime and see how it comes out.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by focusinprogress View Post
    impressive as usual. I've still yet to play with the threading gearbox on my lathe.....I gotta try it sometime and see how it comes out.
    Let me know when you're going to try, because there are a lot of little things that you need to do and I'll come give you a hand. Also, you have to take super small cuts, regardless of thread size (like .003 on the compound). That 3/4-16 thread took like 20 passes.
    Icecream Paintjob

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newman View Post
    Let me know when you're going to try, because there are a lot of little things that you need to do and I'll come give you a hand. Also, you have to take super small cuts, regardless of thread size (like .003 on the compound). That 3/4-16 thread took like 20 passes.
    I'd appreciate the hell out of that. will def let you know.

Kamilitaryman's dad was with me when I bought this thing and he demo'd the threading gearbox before I bought it, but just did a rough pass or two to make sure it works and didn't fully set it up. I have a project in mind where I'd want to cut ACME thread on a tube and then make a collar to thread on that....I have the little gauge for cutting a HSS but to cut the thread and have watched a few videos on doing it but haven't played with it yet.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd appreciate the hell out of that. will def let you know.

Kamilitaryman's dad was with me when I bought this thing and he demo'd the threading gearbox before I bought it, but just did a rough pass or two to make sure it works and didn't fully set it up. I have a project in mind where I'd want to cut ACME thread on a tube and then make a collar to thread on that....I have the little gauge for cutting a HSS but to cut the thread and have watched a few videos on doing it but haven't played with it yet.
    I know you prefer to save money on tooling but I was trying and failing with HSS. Got a used holder for a TMNA insert and never looked back.
    Icecream Paintjob

Formerly 'gotdubd' Array manhagen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure you're familiar with similar products, but I used Shine Seal on our polished or brushed wheels and other polished bits and it really holds up. Wheels were always just soap, water, dry and no re-polishing.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manhagen View Post
    I'm sure you're familiar with similar products, but I used Shine Seal on our polished or brushed wheels and other polished bits and it really holds up. Wheels were always just soap, water, dry and no re-polishing.
    Thanks. I have a box of shine seal in my locker. Going to put it on the hubs before I lace them. I decided against using the glisten PC.
    Icecream Paintjob

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really good work!

Lifetime User Array ubengineering's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

World class. Still say you should just open a shop and do this for a living. Easily charge 150$ an hour labor, more for R&D.
    15 Focus SE - 01 S10 4.3L - 96 Viper GTS - 95 Neon R/T

Lifetime User Array
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ubengineering View Post
    World class. Still say you should just open a shop and do this for a living. Easily charge 150$ an hour labor, more for R&D.
    When your hobby becomes a job it's no longer fun.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by llink78 View Post
    When your hobby becomes a job it's no longer fun.
    Thanks for the compliment. Maybe some day, but at this point it's not sustainable. Even at 50/hr, most people probably couldn't afford me to do truly custom builds.
    Icecream Paintjob

I was LXTASY, then I got better. Array Mike93's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goddamn. Haven't checked in in a while...can't wait to see it all come together.
    '93 Mustang...IRS equipped
    '55 Chevy.......LT1 roadtripper

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Dremel could get into those tiny little corners to polish them.
    '94 Z28 BLACK LT1 n/a

Lifetime User Array turbo ls1 ss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It also helps when you have access to all this nice equipment. Not taking anything away from the build, it's very nice and obviously takes a lot of skill.
    2012 Tahoe Z71 - unmolested
    2000 Camaro SS - GT55 94 ETR-HO

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw a few post on the IG, but reading this takes me through all the punishment polishing has been giving you. Kudos to all your hard work.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joelster View Post
    A Dremel could get into those tiny little corners to polish them.
    You might think that but you're wrong. Haha. I have spent about 3500 bucks on sanding equipment including so many dremel bits but there is nothing that will last long enough to be effective in stainless. I worked one square for an entire day with dremel bits and it wasn't enough. Keep in mind an extra fine grinding stone is only about 80 grit. Even if you get it down to that consistently, it's still a long long way from a polished finish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by turbo ls1 ss View Post
    It also helps when you have access to all this nice equipment. Not taking anything away from the build, it's very nice and obviously takes a lot of skill.
    What nice equipment though? A 6000 dollar Bridgeport and 3000 dollar lathe? I don't really use anything other than normal shop tools, you could get them easily. Most of the tools that I use have been purchased by me anyway, save for the two I just mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Saw a few post on the IG, but reading this takes me through all the punishment polishing has been giving you. Kudos to all your hard work.
    Thanks. It's so much work. I can't even convey it in a post.
    I already have over 100 hours in polishing parts alone. It is a lot of work for sure. The bike is barely a pile of parts and it's got 200+ hours in it.
    Last edited by newman; 03-15-2016 at 12:43 AM.
    Icecream Paintjob

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't think people realize what a complete custom build costs. If you read up on the big shops like Dues and similar, they LOSE money on building bikes....they make the money on merchandising and branding. That's why there's more companies specializing in a few custom parts, people are more willing to spend a couple grand on fancy shit that makes a build easier to do at home.

Lifetime User Array ubengineering's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the compliment. Maybe some day, but at this point it's not sustainable. Even at 50/hr, most people probably couldn't afford me to do truly custom builds.
    You'd probably have to move to a baller city for the right clientele.
    15 Focus SE - 01 S10 4.3L - 96 Viper GTS - 95 Neon R/T

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think people realize what a complete custom build costs. If you read up on the big shops like Dues and similar, they LOSE money on building bikes....they make the money on merchandising and branding. That's why there's more companies specializing in a few custom parts, people are more willing to spend a couple grand on fancy shit that makes a build easier to do at home.
    Nobody does. Ever. Even people who "work on cars and bikes" have no idea what it takes to actually build stuff to this level. I'm not trying to be elitist, it's just beyond what most people think by MILES.
    Icecream Paintjob

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nobody does. Ever. Even people who "work on cars and bikes" have no idea what it takes to actually build stuff to this level. I'm not trying to be elitist, it's just beyond what most people think by MILES.
    agreed. I'm playing with legos compared to the level you're building at.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'd probably have to move to a baller city for the right clientele.
    The thing is, their money would go so much further just buying something new or prebuilt. When this bike is done I probably will have invested over 2000 man hours and enough cash to buy a Panigale R and 10-15K in accessories on top of that. But there is something that, to me, is worth more than the end product, and that's the pride in the process and learning.
    Icecream Paintjob

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast