Forgot your username?

User Tag List

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: JUICEDZ4 build thread

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok option number 1 in motion. I ordered all the parts to build the braces today, rod ends, 4130 tubing and ends etc. Hopefully chassis shop doesnt dilly dally and the stuff gets here wed. The parts from mcmaster should be here tuesday.

Dan

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Managed to get quite a bit done tonight.

I have the firewall braces almost done. I just need to weld the tube ends to the pass side tube and finish welding the triangle tabs to the mounting plate on that side as well (I ran out of shield gas, ugh).

The braces are pretty straight forward. The only part that might need explaining is the mounts at the master cylinder. Basically I just welded some 3/16" bar stock to the head of a 3/8" bolt to create the mounting point for the clevis. The outer mounts are just two triangles that I bought and welded to that same 3/16" bar stock.

I finally got a great start on the crank trigger setup as well. The wheel was easy, it just bolts right onto the outside of the crank pulley (ya, I still need to drill the other 3 mounting holes in it). The sensor mount is in pretty good shape really. Here is whats left to do: tighten up the sensor to wheel gap by machining the bracket on the block thinner, weld the two pieces together (right now they just have one bolt so I could get the angle right etc), shorten the long piece by about 1/16" to get the sensor exactly in line with the wheel laterally. Probably just another hour or so and the setup should be done.

Finally, I think this is how the coils are going to mount. The plan would be to mount them approx 1/2 to 3/4" above the valve cover on an aluminum plate that attaches to the valve cover with some sort of standoffs (maybee something phoenalic to keep heat xfer to a min). Ill prob put some of the gold heat reflective film on the bottom of the plate to help manage the heat. I will still have about 1" of clearance to the bottom of the hood if I space them up 1/2".

Thats it for tonight, er this am.

Dan

President: Big Cat Club Array newman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking fly, as always. The master braces look great!
    Icecream Paintjob

Lifetime User Array
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Such a nice build, I don't think I ever EVER imagined myself saying that about a cavy. Seriously awesome work.
    We are the laughter from a situational comedy
    Forced out, barely alive, a total tragedy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey i see that you have V-band clamps on your turbo, where did you get them.

Thanks
    http://kenbuilt79.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dan, if you can link me to this build on another forum I can re-build this thread here. I know you said there was another thread somewhere... We're not going to be able to get the old one back

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KENLUDE97 View Post
    Hey i see that you have V-band clamps on your turbo, where did you get them.

Thanks
    I dont recall exactly where I got those. I did buy some for the Cabriolet project from Silicone Intakes, or was it mandrelbends.com?. Pretty much everyone seems to sell them now. Just check around for the best price. That would be my advice.

Dan

Meh, there are nicer buildings, architecurally, but that is pretty bad ass. I want to visit Dubai someday. Array Paulo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is probably the one he was talking about...

http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/juic...ad-t99940.html

And wow, I haven't visited that site in a WHILE.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ you're not missing much... at all.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of progress tonight.

Finished welding up the pass side firewall brace. I just need to clean up everything and get it all painted or powdered and do a final assembly.

Test fit the modified crank trigger. It needs just one more small adjustment before I can weld it together. Ill fix that up tomorrow on lunch so it will be set to weld up wed.

Other than paint or powder I completely finished up the mount for the coils. I need to order the rubber standoffs to mount them to the valve cover tomorrow and also some small spacers for under each coil. I think Im going to press PEM studs into the valve cover to attach the rubber standoffs to. This way I dont have to worry about hardware coming loose into the motor.

Also tomorrow Ill get my plug wires back to magnecor to be shortened for the new coil placement. I think they charged me like 12 bux last time, including parts. Totally worth it to have them professionally done.

Finally some progress on the intake manifold. The flange other than some mild porting is done. I have the injector bungs welded in and the port holes cut.

I started cutting the tubing for the main plenum and mostly assembled the jig to hold the runners (so I can flare the ends of them to create the velocity stacks)

Thats it for tonight.

Dan

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a TON done tonight.

Brakes:

- made up a simple pedal stop so the push rod cant fall out
    - bead blasted the master cylinder adaptor plate
    - painted the firewall brace mounts
    - permanently installed the master cylinder, adjusted the pushrod and added a boot as secondary method to insure the pushrod stays in place

The only thing left is to eventually get the firewall brace tubes powder coated. I will probalby do this the next time I have a bunch of parts to go in.

You can see the new location of the master cyl pushrod here as well.

Ignition:

- painted the coil mount bracket
    - mounted the coils
    - added some thermal heat barrier film to the bottom of the assembly
    - did a final test fit of the VR sensor bracket
    - welded the two halves together

Intake Manifold:

- managed to get the 4" tube stretched out enough to test fit the baseplate

By removing more material from the 4" tube at one end than the other, a slight taper was created going away from the TB end of the plenum. Its hard to tell in the pics but its a few degrees.

More this weekend

Dan

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to the help of a guy at work I have a nice template for the 45 degree 3″ to 4″ elbow I need to fab for the intake inlet. Hopefully I can work some magic with the slip roll tomorrow. I may start from some 4″ tubing so there is less rolling to do. Lots to come tomorrow, I hope.

Dan

I shat in my own wallet. Array 540guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what kinda power are you looking for?
    1990 eagle talon. team LOL
    13.28-103.44-low boost pump gas?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id like to see it make 400 wheel someday. Honestly, for now Id be happy if I could just drive it on 10psi (250hp/275ftlbs ish based on previous dyno runs) for the summer. Only time will tell I guess.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

look sharp < i wanna see that mani done >

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This would have been my sat update ...............

Got the elbow done this am. Took about two hours to cut it out from a piece of 4″ tubing left over from the plenum, shape it and weld it. The welds arent the greatest, but it was tough starting and stopping every 1/2″ or 1″.

Also the runner lenghts and position of the plenum are set (well it will need to shift to the driver side some to make room for the runners flare). I just need to cut the other three to length and flare the ends.

Monday I will get the holes cut in the flat part of the flange and also make a plate for the TB. This should really come together next week. Im sorta hoping to finish it next week.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if you've touched on the subject, but what makes this design better than your previous designs?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Ill try to answer that tomorrow, its too late.

Tonight I dimpled a new wider base plate for the plenum, created some small velocity stacks (since my jig, and I dont think any jig, would work to hold the 90 deg bends), and trimmed down the runners to make up for the stacks.

Then I tackled the plenum. I had to make a slight change in plans by rounding the basplate and trimming the sides of the plenum way up so I could fit in a filler piece that wasnt too complicated. Anyway, its pretty well set.

Thursday Ill weld the stacks to the baseplate from the inside so I can really round them off nice. Then I can basically finish assembling the whole thing.
    Tonight I dimpled a new wider base plate for the plenum, created some small velocity stacks (since my jig, and I dont think any jig, would work to hold the 90 deg bends), and trimmed down the runners to make up for the stacks.

Then I tackled the plenum. I had to make a slight change in plans by rounding the basplate and trimming the sides of the plenum way up so I could fit in a filler piece that wasnt too complicated. Anyway, its pretty well set.

Thursday Ill weld the stacks to the baseplate from the inside so I can really round them off nice. Then I can basically finish assembling the whole thing.

Dan

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks awesome, as usual.
    Icecream Paintjob

"Has a parent, do I had the same thought pattern" Array Anonymity's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks great!, i told you.. you have 25hr work day "01:42 AM"
    I would rather ride a fixed gear bike in skinny jeans with George Michael sitting on the handlebars then own a BMW- Quattro Krant

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol ya. Bed at 2:15 and up at 7:30 blows. But its only two nights a week. The other nights Im usualy in bed "early" between 11:30 and 1am.

Dan

"Has a parent, do I had the same thought pattern" Array Anonymity's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post
    lol ya. Bed at 2:15 and up at 7:30 blows. But its only two nights a week. The other nights Im usualy in bed "early" between 11:30 and 1am.

Dan

i know, i do the same just dont have anything to take pictures of...
    I would rather ride a fixed gear bike in skinny jeans with George Michael sitting on the handlebars then own a BMW- Quattro Krant

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got alot accomlished tonight.

-small stacks welded to the runners

-three runners tacked in place and one fully welded

-runners fully welded to the plenum flange

I snapped a quick pick with the plenum sitting in place. weeee

Dan

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SOOOOOO DOPE. Looks great dan.
    Icecream Paintjob

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The shortened plug wires came back from Magnecor friday. Took a few pics of them with the intake in place. Im hoping to finish welding it up tomorrow nite

Dan

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast